LifeLine

Friday, May 18, 2007

Sometime We Do Well, Sometimes We Don’t

LAST Sunday I preached one of the worst sermon in my church. What went wrong?

Was it a lack of Preparation? Prayer?

Couldn’t be. I put in the hours in both.

Was it a lack of conviction that it was God’s message for the congregation?

Couldn’t be. The text was appropriate for the theme – motherhood.


What Went Wrong?

As I recoup and regain my energy after every sermon – preaching takes a lot out of you, for it pumps up your adrenalin when during the process of preparation and speaking. Once you’re done speaking, your energy level is at its lowest, hence, most pastors will take Monday as their off-day to “recuperate.” I also take Monday off but in addition to recuperate, I spend a big part of the day reflecting on what I’ve taught, and reflecting on the feedback I’ve received from the congregation.

Sometime we do well, sometimes we don’t. This one didn’t do well indeed for me.


What Went Wrong?

I find that one of the main reason is that I failed to connect the sermon with the people. What do I mean? I am unsure exactly which group of people I’m targeting at. Those who are mothers? Or those who have mothers? It is not a question of either of but could be a question of “both and.”

What I failed to connect was the tension felt by the listeners. Because we live in a society where our mothers are traditionally held in high esteem (fathers held in healthy fear), therefore, to connect with the listeners, there must be the “aha” moments whereby the listener can “feel” the message with their emotions (heart and will) and not just the head.

Which brings me back to the basics of good preaching. There are three development questions that every preacher must ask – the 3 DQs.

Explanation – What does it mean?
Validation – Is it true? Do I believe it?
Application – So what? How then should I live?

Explanation speaks to the mind, informing it.
Validation speaks to the heart, stirring dissonance and causing disequilibrium.
Application speaks to the will, prompting action.

I trust that my episode will encourage readers, especially pastors, not to lose heart but to learn from our mistakes and grow from it. This way, the next sermon will improve.

Till next time…

1 Comments:

  • Hi Pastor Bobby!! Blogs are always good to read!! hahaha
    anyway, persevere! Your sermons arent based on good or bad but more on what GOD wants you to speak! So never feel discouraged casue someone must have been touched!!

    By Blogger jiam, At May 21, 2007 at 3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home